Student Crossing Procedures
Please review these important safety procedures with your children. Parents who escort their children to and from the bus when crossing must set the example for their children and adhere to these important safety procedures. It is important to remember that not all cars stop as required by state law.
When crossing the street to board the bus
- Students wait in a group at the designated bus stop at least 10 feet from the edge of the roadway and look to the bus driver for the signal to cross.
- Bus drivers will display a sign to indicate when it is safe to cross the street. If it is dark, drivers may turn on their inside light to be seen easier.
- Students proceed directly across the road, always staying well in front of the bus, and board the bus.
- Stay out of the “DANGER ZONE”!
- Do not stop in the middle of the street or cross behind the bus.
Parents: Please teach your student the Bus Rules and to stay out of the Danger Zone.
Waiting for the bus
- Stay a safe distance from the roadway
- No pushing or horseplay
- When the bus arrives, stay away from the wheels
- Look right and left before crossing
- Watch for the driver's signal
- Continue to watch for traffic as you walk